"OVER SIXTY YEARS OF HISTORY & PROGRESS"
The Massachusetts State Federation of Labor convention was held in Cambridge, Massachusetts on October 27,1945, and at that time and place the fire fighter delegates held a meeting of their own for the purpose of forming a State fire fighters Association.
It was during this meeting that six Local Fire Unions of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) agreed to organize and join a State Association. The six locals represented the fire fighters from the communities of Boston, Brockton, Cambridge, Gloucester, Lynn and Springfield.
On December 12, 1945, the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) granted a charter to the newly formed "Associated Fire Fighters of Massachusetts". On that day, there were twelve Massachusetts IAFF Locals in the newly formed "AFFM", they included: Boston, Brockton, Cambridge, Gloucester, Holyoke, Lawrence, Lynn, New Bedford, Newburyport, Northampton, Quincy, and Springfield.
The "Associated Fire Fighters of Massachusetts" held their first State Convention at the Hotel Kimball, in Springfield, Massachusetts, on September 10, 1947. It was attended by sixty-two delegates and six alternates representing Locals from fourteen cities and towns including: Attleboro, Boston, Brockton, Cambridge, Everett, Lawrence, Lowell, Lynn, New Bedford, Newton, Peabody, Quincy, Springfield, and Waltham.
During the first AFFM Convention, the delegates elected Arvid G. Anderstrom of Springfield Local 648 as their first President and Joseph F. O'Brien of Boston Local 718 as the first Secretary - Treasurer.
For the next twelve years the Associated Fire Fighters of Massachusetts met annually until 1959 when the delegates voted to hold their Biennial Conventions (every other year) which is the current policy in place today.
During the early years of the Associated Fire Fighters of Massachusetts was originally comprised of four districts; Southern, Northern, Metropolitan and Western areas of Massachusetts.
In 1975, at the Biennial Convention held in Hyannis, the delegates voted to change the name to the current Professional Fire Fighters of Massachusetts, effective January 1, 1976.
During this same convention, the delegates voted to open a State office close to the Massachusetts State House. On June 4, 1975, the PFFM office first opened in a residential apartment building located at 130 Bowdoin Street, in Boston.
During the next 36 years the organization swelled to over 200 Massachusetts IAFF Locals representing over 12,000 Union Fire Fighters across the Commonwealth. This growth required the office to expand into joining apartments to keep up with the need for additional office space.
During the 2011 Biennial Convention the delegates voted to move out of the now outdated and outgrown office space on Bowdoin Street to a more practical and efficient office building. A suitable and office was found only a short distance from the Bowdoin Street address, and within quick walking distance to both the Massachusetts State House, and Government Center. On May 1, 2012, the PFFM opened their new offices located at 2 Center Plaza, Suite 4M Boston, MA.
During their more than 60 years of History, the Professional Fire Fighters of Massachusetts have entrenched themselves in the Legislative process. They have successfully proven themselves as one of the most highly respected Labor and Lobbying Organizations in the Commonwealth and have demonstrated their solidarity by fostering relationships with other Labor organizations throughout the State and Country.